National Pistachio Day – February 26th #NationalPistachioDay
National Pistachio Day February 26th History and Images #NationalPistachioDay – Happy National Pistachio Day photo and download free pictures. National Pistachio Day is a nutty day. You can celebrate National Pistachio Day by eating them, and learning more about them. We’re going to help with the learning part…….. read on.
Nutty Pistachio Facts:
– Pistachios grow on trees. They are native to the Middle East.
– Its a long wait to get the first nut. A pistachio tree takes 7-10 years to mature.
– California is the major producer in the U.S.
– Pistachios are harvested in September by machines that shake the trees. It less than a minute.
– The red dye is added to the nuts is only due to consumer demand for the color.
– Its open hull is unique. The nut is ripe when the hull splits open.
– People in the Middle East call it the “smiling nut” and in China its called the “happy nut”.
– Pistachios are nutritious, so eat them up!
Celebrate today by eating Pistachios. They are great plain as a snack, in ice cream, and in a wide range of desserts.
Origin of National Pistachio Day:
Our research did not find the creator, or the origin of this day. We actually had the opportunity to research this day, along with a national pistachio organization. The group approached us because they didn’t understand why this day could be in February. They wanted to move this day, or create a new one to celebrate the September harvest of the pistachio crop. They also wanted to make the new day a national one. Making it a true “National” day proved to be too long of a process and time consuming. They felt that congress had more important things to do.